Pregnancy Toothpaste: Best Brands To Buy In Singapore
Switching to a pregnancy toothpaste was probably something you never thought was necessary. Well, it may be time to give it some thought because pregnancy can make you more susceptible to gum disease, tooth decay and other dental issues.
On top of that, there are certain ingredients found in products that are known to be harmful to a growing baby.
Sure, brushing alone can clean your teeth but the right maternity toothpaste can do wonders for your oral hygiene. They’re usually infused with ingredients that prevent dental and oral diseases!
Plus, you can be sure that they’re 100% safe to use because they’re free of chemicals and toxins that would otherwise be detrimental to a baby’s development.
Choosing A Safe Pregnancy Toothpaste
When should you switch to a pregnancy toothpaste? You can add maternity-friendly toothpaste to your cart during your first trimester or when your current toothpaste is worsening your morning sickness.
But remember to watch out for these common toothpaste ingredients that are actually harmful during pregnancy:
- Fluoride – Too much fluoride can cause fluorosis
- Triclosan – A pesticide that’s used as an antibacterial agent and can affect thyroid hormones
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) – A foam maker that can cause mouth and skin irritation
- Propylene glycol – This ingredient is harder for pregnant women to break down and can be toxic to the liver and kidneys
- Carrageenan – A seaweed-derived thickening agent that can potentially cause gut tumours and trigger colon cancer
To help you choose the best pregnancy toothpaste, we have shortlisted the 7 best toothpaste brands in Singapore that are perfect for pregnant and even breastfeeding mums.
So what makes a safe pregnancy toothpaste? It all boils down to three things:
- Taste: Nausea is a common concern among pregnant women and strong flavours tend to aggravate this symptom.
- Ingredients: During pregnancy, one should pay special attention to the ingredients. Usually, herbal, organic or naturally-sourced ingredients is the best option over chemically-derived ingredients.
- Chemicals: A pregnancy-safe toothpaste should not contain harmful chemicals that can affect your health and the development of your unborn child.
Pregnancy Toothpaste Brands in Singapore
Mama’s Choice Non-Fluoride Toothpaste ticks the two important boxes when it comes to a pregnancy toothpaste.
This certified Halal toothpaste leaves no room for doubt when it comes to safety during pregnancy, breastfeeding, and even postpartum because it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals like SLS and triclosan.
This fluoride-free toothpaste also harnesses the power of natural ingredients such as miswak, allantoin, and chlorophyll to soothe inflamed gums, fight bacteria, protect against cavities and clean teeth.
For pregnant mums who are constantly battling nausea, you’d be glad to know that the mint flavour is just enough to freshen one’s breath without triggering nausea.
Even better, we like that this brand also carries a non-fluoride, alcohol-free mouthwash that works well with this maternity toothpaste.
- Mildly flavoured but effective
- Uses natural ingredients
- No SLS, triclosan and fluoride
- Tested in Singapore laboratories
Puree Maternity Toothpaste is a certified Halal toothpaste that doesn’t contain fluoride, SLS and saccharin.
Specially formulated for pregnant and breastfeeding mums, this toothpaste contains 8 percent xylitol, calcium, phosphate and sodium lauroyl sarcosinate that together help prevent tooth decay.
- No SLS, triclosan and fluoride
- Certified Halal
- Approved by the Malaysian Private Dental Practitioners’ Association (MPDPA)
A toothpaste that zeroes in on strengthening teeth and gums with its blend of calcium and Blue-Green Algae, Jason Sea Fresh Toothpaste is SLS-free, fluoride-free and even gluten-free.
Certified organic, this toothpaste is flavoured with spearmint and parsley extracts to freshen breath with every use.
- No SLS, fluoride and gluten
- No artificial colours, sweeteners, saccharin and preservatives
- Certified organic
Created specifically for pregnant women, this all-natural toothpaste is enriched with a combination of ingredients such as aloe vera gel, tea tree oil, natural calcium lactate, pineapple extracts and more.
Together, they promote healthy gums, stronger enamel, and protection from tooth decay. This natural toothpaste isn’t just perfect for mums but it’s also a great alternative for those who have sensitive teeth.
- No SLES, PEG, parabens, chlorhexidine, saccharin, synthetic dyes and flavours, and fluoride
- 98.9% natural
- Clinically tested
Made with 14 premium natural extracts, Dentiste 100 percent Natural Toothpaste is a great choice for mums who are conscious of harmful chemicals found in ordinary toothpaste.
It only uses natural sodium bicarbonate and natural hydrated silica to whiten teeth; xylitol and stevia as sweeter; and plant oils for flavouring.
Besides leaving your mouth feeling clean and your breath fresh, this natural toothpaste also helps remineralise your teeth, prevent plaque buildup and fight tooth decay.
- European and national safety standards
- Tested under dermatological control
- Fluoride-free and SLS-free
If you’re looking for an invigorating toothpaste for your everyday brushing, this herbal peppermint toothpaste from Himalaya may be just what you need.
It’s great at providing all-around oral care without all the harsh chemicals. And at the heart of this toothpaste is neem and pomegranate for clean teeth and fresh breath, and peppermint for reducing plaque and removing stains on the teeth.
This pregnancy-friendly range also comes in other exciting flavours including cinnamon and mint.
- No carrageenan, fluoride, triclosan, SLS or harsh abrasives
- Free from gluten, no animal cruelty
- Organic ingredients
A popular toothpaste brand in Korea specially created for pregnant mums, Tntn Mom’s Natural Toothpaste is proven to be safe and effective in not only cleaning the teeth but battling nausea too.
Its distinct grapefruit scent is both refreshing and helpful in keeping morning sickness at bay. This toothpaste’s mild formulation contains a blend of natural extracts such as chamomile, calendula and lemon essence.
It even has naturally-extracted folic acids and vitamin B, both of which are beneficial for healthier teeth and gums.
- No paraben, fluoride, SLS, triclosan, artificial dyes, artificial flavouring, ethanol and saccharine
- Grapefruit scent helps with nausea and morning sickness relief
- Has naturally-extracted folic acid and vitamin B
The post Pregnancy Toothpaste: Best Brands To Buy In Singapore appeared first on theAsianparent - Your Guide to Pregnancy, Baby & Raising Kids.