Sinpopo Katong launches handmade pastries & breakfast menu with local twist
Homegrown brand Sinpopo Restaurant has launched a breakfast menu that is available until 11:30am daily.
Brunch plates have been available since Apr. 29, during extended opening hours that start earlier at 8:30am.
Nine new dishes
The new breakfast menu comprises nine dishes.
This includes their rendition of nasi lemak, called the Breakfast Nasi Lemak (S$18).
The dish comes with butterfly pea rice, har jeong kai (prawn paste chicken) cutlet, hae bee hiam (spicy dried shrimp sambal) cashews, sambal, cucumber slices, a soft egg, and onion relish.
The coconut rice with blue pea flower is streaked with flecks of light blue grains instead of being entirely blue.
Crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, the har jeong kai cutlet can be a bit salty when consumed alone, especially the battered parts.
Best to eat it with the rice to help keep the jelak feeling at bay.
Like an elevated version of candied cashews, the hae bee hiam cashews are sweet, spicy, and savoury.
Besides adding a bit of crunch to the dish, they are a pretty addictive snack on their own.
The sambal — which some might say is the most important part of a nasi lemak — has a bit of a kick but is not that spicy.
Good for those with low spice tolerance, but not ideal for chilli fiends.
Photo by Karen Lui.
If you come after 12pm, the Sinpopo's Signature Nasi Lemak Set for 2 (S$28) is available on the Lunch and Dinner menu.
Besides har cheong gai wings, the set also includes lam you-marinated pork belly, ma ling (luncheon meat) crisps, rojak slaw, and sambal fishballs.
Other brunch plates
If you're looking for more classic brunch items, check out the following:
- Avocado and Egg White (S$18)
- Smashed avocado, egg white scramble, and sourdough toast
- Rosti and Sausage (S$20)
- Potato rosti, pork fennel sausage, wild mushrooms, sour cream
- Sinpopo Brand Special Scramble (S$16)
- Creamy scrambled eggs, garlic buttered sourdough, miso shimeiji mushrooms, grated parmesan, and ma ling luncheon crisps
- Chorizo and Potatoes (S$20)
- Spicy chorizo, potato hash, sunny side up eggs, wild mushrooms
- Full On Breakfast (S$22)
- Eggs how you like it, pork fennel sausage, thick cut bacon, wild mushrooms, roasted tomato, sourdough
- Polenta Cake and Bacon (S$18)
- Grilled polenta cake, thick cut bacon steak, roasted tomato relish
- Thick Cut French Toast (S$18)
- Egg battered brioche, maple syrup, raspberries, roasted apple, whipped butter
- Granola House Bowl (S$13)
- Toasted muesli, blackberries and roasted apple with greek yoghurt