Two Palestinians killed by Israeli troops after alleged attack
Two Palestinians were killed and a third critically wounded after an alleged attack on an Israeli military base in the northern occupied West Bank, Israeli media reported on Friday.
The Palestinians approached Salem military base near the city of Jenin with homemade submachine guns known as the Carlo, reports said.
According to a statement from Israeli police, the three Palestinians fired the weapons at the base’s main gate.
“Border police and Israeli soldiers responded by firing and neutralising the terrorists,” it said.
No Israeli casualties were reported.
The violence comes at a time of heightened tensions over east Jerusalem, where dozens of Palestinians are at risk of being evicted following a long legal battle with Israeli settlers. Palestinian protesters have clashed with police there on a nightly basis in recent weeks.
On Thursday, Israeli forces arrested a Palestinian suspected of carrying out a drive-by shooting earlier this week in the West Bank that killed an Israeli and wounded two others.
Late Wednesday, Israeli troops shot and killed a 16-year-old Palestinian during a confrontation near the West Bank city of Nablus. The military said several Palestinians had thrown firebombs toward soldiers.
The deaths came amid an uptick in violence coinciding with the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
In recent days, protesters have scuffled with police and settlers over the threatened eviction of dozens of Palestinians in the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood in East Jerusalem.
Several Palestinian families in Sheikh Jarrah have been embroiled in a long-running legal battle with Israeli settler groups trying to acquire property in the neighbourhood north of the Old City.
Protesters have also clashed with police over restrictions on outdoor gatherings at the Damascus Gate on the edge of the Old City, a popular meeting place for Muslims following nightly prayers during Ramadan.